MANAGING ARTICLE TYPES
Administrators and authorized users can create, edit or delete Article Types such as knowledge-base, FAQs, release notes, blogs or many other forms of posts. Article Type settings can be configured to promote browsing and engagement, customize how posts are visually displayed, and allow insights into the effectiveness of these settings with built in reporting. Administrators can set approval steps to publish as well as subscription details such as frequency and alert type.
To manage Article Types, users must have the following user permissions:
- Administrator System Role
TO MANAGE ARTICLE TYPES:
- In the Setup Home page, click Create > Articles.
- Click the Article Type you want to edit.
- Click the Settings Tab.
- You can review and change the settings for the article type in this tab. You can also delete the article type from this tab.
- Click Save.
- Click the Categories Tab.
- You may create or select the Category for which Posts can be published under.
- Click the Tags Tab.
- You can create new tags by clicking New Tag or edit existing tags by clicking the dropdown arrow > Edit beside the existing tag.
- The Use count column indicates how many times a tag has been used in an article type.
- Click the Layout Tab.
- Click Posts and Single Post to toggle between editing the listview of article type posts and the default post page layout.
- Posts Layout: Select from the drop-down how posts will be viewed in a list. You can select a listview that features the author’s image, or an image from within the post (large or small sizing), a simple, text-based list of posts, or a tiled list of posts.
- Search Position: Select from the drop-down where the search bar will be positioned on the top of the page, in the sidebar, or will be disabled.
- Hide Sidebar: Check this option if you want to disable the sidebar.
- Show Posts on Map: Check this option if you want a map displaying the locations of all geolocated posts on the Article Type and post pages.
- Show Language Filter: Check this option if you want to display a list of languages the post is available in.
- Show Categories: Check this option if you want to if you want to allow browsing by categories via Article Type's sidebar.
- Show Popular Tags: Check this option if you want a list of the most popular tags to be displayed on the Article Type page and allow users to browse by tags on the sidebar.
- Add Embed Code: Click this button to add external embed code and give it a title. If you wish to use Social Widgets such Facebook followers, Twitter feeds, etc or include promotional YouTube videos you can use this feature. The height of the sidebar can be optionally defined.
- Single Post: Options in this list are Layouts configured for the Post Entity.
- Fields that can be placed into the page layout are located in the Available Fields box. Optionally if you require tracking on additional metadata on your Posts, you can define new Custom Fields and add them to a layout. Once you add a field to the layout, the field input will appear in the Post edit screen and the value will be displayed underneath the post content
- Order content by drag and drop different field types into the Content Layout pane. Subject and Content are fixed position fields.
- Click Save.
- *Note: You can preview the page by clicking Actions > Browse in the upper right corner of the article type pane.
- Click the Subscribers Tab.
- Displays a list of the article type subscribers. All subscribers that have explicitly subscribed will be listed on this page. Administrators can review and manage the subscribers. Administrators can also update the subscriber status to Subscribed or Unsubscribed here.
- *Note: This tab is made visible only if the Tracking Subscribers option is enabled in the Article Type.
- Click the Approvals Tab.
- Select and edit approval process for posts within an article type. In many use cases, you may require a series of verification/review steps before a Post can be published. Using Approvals you can achieve this. Administrators can setup multiple step automatic or manual approval processes to obtain necessary approvals as needed.
- Click the Reports Tab.
- Built-in reports to monitor Article (Post) Activity. Overview reports show visits and category information of all posts within Article Type.
- To see the list view of all posts in this article type, click Actions > Browse.
- To set visibility and authoring permissions for the article type, click Actions > Share.
Return to Articles Checklist
<< Creating Article Types | Sharing Article Types >>